As WaldenU students we all know the value well-crafted discussion prompts can have on engaging students deeply in their learning. In the process of completing this assignment I created a sample discussion prompt that I would like to use with my sixth grade academic enriched class. I would like you to evaluate what I have created and help me improve it. Based on what you have learned in this class about creating discussion prompts, evaluate the sample discussion post below.
• Evaluate the proposed sample discussion based on what you have learned about creating engaging discussion prompts.
• How does the sample discussion meet or fall short of the guidelines provided in this week’s learning resources?
• Suggest at least one change to the sample discussion.
Use the resources from EIDT 6511 and any other resources you deem appropriate.
Post your thoughts about the sample discussion prompt below. Use the prompt above as your guide. Remember the instructions state that you will not be graded on your responses to this prompt.
By Saturday night:
Look for follow-up comments.
The “rubric” for the EIDT 6511 Prompt
Can be accessed by clicking here EIDT6511WK7Rubric.
Sample Discussion Prompt
How Do Ocean Currents Impact the Earth’s Climate?
Oceans cover over 70% of our planet’s surface. Not only do oceans play a major role in our food supply, but also on our climate as you learned in this week’s resources. For this week’s discussion you will focus on the impact that three of Earth’s major currents have on the long-term weather patterns around the globe. Remember, these currents are generated by the global winds we studied in our previous section. While these three currents are not the only currents to impact climate around the globe, they demonstrate the impact that currents can have on climate and in turn on weather.
In this week’s discussion post you will describe the impact that the Gulf Stream, California current, and changes in the Peruvian current called El Niño and La Niña have on temperature, wind, and precipitation in different parts of the world. Review this week’s resources to help you answer the following questions.
• Describe how the Atlantic Gulf Stream impacts the climate of three different Northern European countries.
• Describe how the California Current impacts the climate of the costal regions along the west coast of North America.
• Describe two ways El Niño and La Niña impact on global climate when those currents replace the normal Peruvian current.
Post your findings of the impact the currents have on different regions of the globe to the Discussion board. Be sure to cite the resources you use properly.
Read the postings of the other students in your group.
Respond to two or more of your classmates’ postings by:
• Asking a probing or clarifying question
• Providing deeper understanding
• Sharing an insight you gained from your studies
Course Text: Holt Science and Technology: Tennessee, Grade 6
• Chapter 5 – Currents and Climate pages 130-133
How Can One Ocean Climate Affect the Whole North Atlantic? Exploring Earth. TERC, Visual Earth. Retrieved from http://www.classzone.com/books/earth_science/terc/content/investigations/es2403/es2403page01.cfm.
El Niño and its Effects. Retrieved from http://earthguide.ucsd.edu/virtualmuseum/climatechange1/11_1.shtml
El Niño – a warm current of water. Retrieved from http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/eln/def.rxml
Ocean. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Retrieved from http://www.noaa.gov/ocean.html
The El Niño (ENSO) Phenomenon. Retrieved from http://biophysics.sbg.ac.at/atmo/elnino.htm